BONVOYAGE will contribute to the societal challenge “Smart, Green and Integrated Transport”, whose aim is “to minimize the impact of transport systems on climate and the environment, including noise and air pollution, by improving the efficiency in the use of natural resources, and by reducing the dependence on fossil fuels”. In addition it will contribute to societal challenge “Europe in a changing world – inclusive, innovative and reflective societies”, with the Internames concept, and, indirectly to the challenge “Climate action, environment, resource efficiency and raw materials” by offering solutions for “reducing energy consumption and carbon footprint through smart and sustainable usage”.
The expected impact deriving from BONVOYAGE can be described in terms of technical objectives (see related page), in terms of benefits offered to the transportation eco-system and in terms of the impact in the areas listed in the workprogramme.
Benefits for users
The capability to perform dynamic scheduling of transportation makes BONVOYAGE more responsive to user needs, based on travel schedule and convenience, cost and timeliness. For transportation of goods, BONVOYAGE enables better logistics that ultimately improve inventory management with just-in-time delivery, which is what supply chains critically depend on. The publish/subscribe capabilities of the Internames communications system allow users to take advantage of flexible lower cost options that are suitable for elastic user needs and of choosing the transport carrier better matching their needs
Benefits for transport systems
The ability to build demand/response systems that are responsive to the requests of user groups leads to better utilization of transport units, thus resulting in lower costs and better margins. Access to more updated system and environment information allows dynamic re-routing. The availability of updated vehicle information also enables the transport operator to manage resources more efficiently. Better information flows open more market opportunities for a sector that relies on Small and Medium Enterprises
Benefits for the society
A more responsive and better used transport system brings undoubtedly several societal benefits. Utilizing timely information yields less partially filled transport units and a better optimization of transportation routes. This is likely to mean less congestion, lower carbon emissions, less environmental impact, lower energy consumption and of course higher quality of life
Impact in the areas listed in the workprogramme
- Better modal integration: services integrating multi-modal information, user preferences, planning, tariff design and ticketing services, easing interoperation between all involved players
- Increased travel time reliability: capabilities to account for travel time reliability and providing decisions tailored on the requesting user
- More efficient use of the existing transport infrastructure: the system can enforce efficient usage of infrastructures, thanks to orchestration of available transportation means
- More inclusive transport services: personalization includes information related to special needs and implementation of consequent decisions
- Better informed and more efficient policies for ITS deployment: experience of project partners and availability of vast network to collect requirements and feedbacks from a wide range of players and to test project solutions